Monday 19 May 2014

EU IV Portugal AAR Part 21 – 1605-1614



1605-1614 King Sebastiao I, Part 2

And, back we come to our normal AAR service! We’ve just enjoyed 10 years of tranquillity, building up our trade power and colonies. Let’s unleash the dogs of war, shall we?

But first, oh look, we’re the Papal Controller again, how nice!


In December 1605 we gain a Cassus Belli against Brunei, by fabricating a claim, but our forces aren’t quite in position yet. In June 1606, our grip on the Philippines gets a little bit tighter

Later on that year, shortly before our military might reaches Brunei, the Venetians and Savoyards get themselves into a scrap in Europe. This brings Austria in on the side of Savoy. Austria call us into the war, and I say yes, not wanting to break my alliance with Austria just yet. Although France is involved, we have enough allies that I shouldn’t need to lend a hand unless it all goes completely pear-shaped

Take Portugal out of the game and the forces are pretty evenly matched

Anyway, by September, Austria has won a couple of battles, so I decide to strike out and start my war against Brunei. Brunei has no allies, the fools!

Unfortunately, a month later, the Netherlands declares independence from Austria, and we are called into a third war! How did this happen?

Our first combat comes in November 1606, when two of our trade squadrons tackle 4 French Carracks, sending them to the bottom

Shortly after, we defeat the Bruneian army in its entirety, then settle down to a few sieges

Followed by their navy just after the turn of the new year

Meanwhile, back on the continent, the battle of the century has taken place, with 175,000 French troops being defeated in battle by an allied army of 172,000. Pity I missed it, I would have liked to have watched

By May 1607, we’ve successfully occupied Brunei, and defeat the newly formed Bruneian army again

And in the same month another of our trade fleets sinks 4 French Carracks, but with heavy loss

Nothing much of note takes place for the next year. We are winning the war against France and Venice nicely, and the Netherlands Independence war is a stalemate. By April 1608 we have occupied Brunei, and it’s time to peace out I think

For some reason it wouldn’t let me select Full Annexation, so I have to settle for taking all but the capital province, sigh!

Brunei immediately joins Yemen in the Coalition against me, and they later add the OPM Makassar, which is on a small island to the east of Brunei.
A month later we take the next Expansion Idea, and boost our trade power even more!

The colony of Cagayan becomes self-sustaining in June, and our presence in the Philippines trade node is really starting to show. We also get an automatic Cassus Belli against some nations in the area, not really sure why!

Savoy concedes defeat in October 1608, and the two instigators of the Euro war are at peace, but it doesn’t stop the rest of them fighting!

We reach a landmark point in March 1609, as the Andaman islands become self-sustaining. This means that we now have a fully-functioning province occupying every single island in the Indian Ocean. It really is Portugal’s lake!

Feb 1610, and we are close to completing the colonisation of the modern-day Philippines

The war in Europe is driving me potty, as we can’t get access to allow our land forces in Portugal to get there, I need my transport fleet in the Indian Ocean so I can’t move my forces by sea, and Austria isn’t getting on with the job. So we take a white peace in August 1610. This will negatively affect our relationship with Austria, but I really can’t be bothered anymore.

We follow this up with a white peace with Venice in March 1611, and we are back at peace and can concentrate on coring our acquisitions from Brunei. The war between Austria and France will drag on for another year, with very little coming out of it apart from depleted manpower resources and war exhaustion. I’m glad I got out when I did

In July 1611, we are able to start the the diplomatic process of annexing our vassal, Granada

We take admin tech 16, diplo tech 13 and the next Quantity Idea in 1612

1613 passes without incident, and Mindanao (its modern name) in the Philippines becomes self-sustaining in July 1614

By August 1614, our war exhaustion is back to zero, and so is our overextension. Time to take that annoying province in Brunei. This will bring Makassar and Yemen, their Coalition partners into the war.... good, I want to take Makassar anyway, and beating up Yemen is fun! Kilwa will also join the war the following month, as they are called in by their ally, Yemen

Well, that was a bit of messing around. I’m wary of getting too involved in European wars if I can help it, as although I have a mighty army of around 80,000 troops, they are mostly spread out around the Indian Ocean, with just a token defence force in Portugal. The defence force is simply there to engage an enemy long enough for me to recruit mercenaries to defend the mainland until I can shuttle my proper army back home. Now, if Castile had been involved in the war, that would have been different. Any excuse to take more territory from them!

Next time we’ll get into a scrap with 4 different nations , on either side of the Indian Ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment