Thursday 19 June 2014

Getting a-head

After giving the model a grey undercoat this morning I was able to get started with the painting this evening.

I decided to base coat a mix of grey and silver in order to get a dark metallic base. I then washed the model with a mix of black and dark blue to start to darken the model. I think I was a bit heavy, and worried I may lose some detail, I used a wet brush to remove some of the wash, or redistribute a bit more evenly. I would rather build up several light washes then ruin the model with one heavy wash. As the model is still drying I haven't got any pics, but will hopefully take some tomorrow.

While the body dried I started on the face. The model has 2 main flesh parts, both challenging in different ways. The arms are bare, and while they start as flesh, around the elbows they turn into a living metal that Ferrus absorbed while killing the great silver Wyrm Asirnoth. The blending of flesh and metal shall be difficult but that's a bridge to cross later.

The second area of flesh is the face. The head is beautifully sculpted, and I want to keep the paint job looking realistic. Faces I have done in the past have looked cartoonish, but then I have always stuck to skin tone paints which are often unrealistic shades. I took a skin tone colour but mixed it with so e grey to get a colour that bizarrely matched my own. I then washed with Strong Tone, before a light wash of red. I then picked out the raised areas with the original mix, I found this to be a bit to contrasting so I gave the model a light wash of Strong Tone. This tired the reader areas with the lighter skin. I  red to work out the best colours to high light bit so far I am happy.

Tomorrow I hope to bring some pics of the work done on Ferrus body.

1 comment: